Bere island GAA 2009

Topics related to GAA
Post Reply
Site Admin
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:24 pm

Bere island GAA 2009

Post by admin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:46 pm

Deel Rovers overwhelm a game Bere Island side July 2009


Deel Rovers ...... 7-13

Bere Island ......... 0-4

THE signs were ominous for Bere Island from a very early stage in this county junior ‘B’ football championship quarterfinal clash with Deel Rovers at Coachford last Sunday.

Although they drew first blood through a point from wing forward David Elphick in the third minute, and were on level terms after centre forward Robbie Hillard landed a spectacular score from a sideline ball four minutes later, it was obvious they were struggling to stamp their authority on the proceedings when backed by a stiff breeze.

It was equally apparent that Deel Rovers were far more assured and purposeful when in possession, and that their cohesive attack carried considerable potential.

Indeed, they twice threatened a goal during the opening ten minutes, but a wasted chance by Anthony Watson followed by an excellent save by Bere Island custodian Derek Harrington from Tadgh O’Flynn denied them a major breakthrough.

Almost inevitably, however, it arrived in the 13th. minute when full forward Eoin Dillon goaled to push them 1-4 to 0-2 ahead, and Dillon struck again a minute later to send Bere Island’s prospects into irreversible decline.

To their credit, the West-Cork men kept plugging away in the second quarter, and were rewarded with an excellent point from full forward William O’Sullivan, but their defence always looked vulnerable, despite the admirable efforts of Michael Orpen and Gary Moriarty.

It was to be unhinged on two more occasions before half-time, with wing forward Tadgh O’Flynn bagging a brace of goals which, sandwiching a Jim Hanley point for Bere Island, left Deel Rovers leading by 4-4 to 0-4 at the break.

It meant that Bere Island’s fate was effectively sealed heading into the second half, and they offered little more than token resistance after Eoin Dillon completed his hat-trick for Deel Rovers in the 33rd. minute.

The rest of the match amounted to a bout of shooting practice for the Milford side, who had further goals from Sean Buckley and substitute Michael Cremin before the finish.

They picked off some good points as well, with centre forward Buckley chipping in with three, and the fact that they also clocked up nine wides serves to underline the full extent of their superiority after the interval.

With Bere Island failing to register a score in the second half, it was an embarrassing mismatch by any standards, although players such as Moriarty, Orpen, Robbie Hillard, William O’Sullivan and Jim Hanley never stopped trying for the losers, and ’keeper Harrington certainly couldn’t be faulted for any of the Deel Rovers goals

Scorers – Deel Rovers: E. Dillon 3-2, T. O’Flynn 2-1, S. Buckley 1-3, M. Cremin 1-1, H. O’Gorman 0-2, A. Watson, B. Geary, D. Corkery and P. Brosnan 0-1 each. Bere Island: D. Elphick, R. Hillard, W. O’Sullivan and J. Hanley 0-1 each.

Deel Rovers: W. O’Leary, P. Watson, J. Leonard, D. Sheehan, R. Villiers, D. Corkery, G. O’Mahony, M. O’Connell, T. Cronin, A. Watson, S. Buckley, T. O’Flynn, H. O’Gorman, E. Dillon, S. O’Connell. Subs.: B. Geary for M. O’Connell, M. Cremin for Dillon, J. Cremin for O’Flynn, M. Cremin for S. O’Connell, P. Brosnan for O’Mahony.

Bere Island: D. Harrington, D. O’Sullivan-Greene, M. O’Sullivan, G. Moriarty, W. Reid, M. Orpen, A. Hanley, J. Hanley, F. O’Sullivan, D. Elphick, R. Hillard, J. Murphy, C. Harrington, W. O’Sullivan, Jeffrey Mullins. Subs.: J. Harrington for M. O’Sullivan (injured), B. Murphy for Jeffrey Mullins, John Mullins for O’Sullivan-Greene, P. Elphick for J. Murphy.

Referee – D. Murnane (Macroom).

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests