Beara minor 2000

Topics related to GAA
Post Reply
Site Admin
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:24 pm

Beara minor 2000

Post by admin » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:50 pm

August 2000
A LAST-MINUTE point by GlengarrirTe's Kevin O'Sullivan gave Beara victory over Carrigaline in the A113 Premier Minor Football championship. The game was played in Aughaville on Friday evening.

Beara opened the scoring with points from Conchur Harrington and Gary Lowney. Carrigaline opened their account with a point, from a free, scored by Michael Dillon.

Conchur Harrington restored Beam's two-point advantage, with a point from a free, but two points, scored by Carrigaline's main marksman, Michael Dillon, put the teams level at 0-3 each by the end of the first quarter.

Beara then raised the tempo with good play from Darren Carey, PJ Connelly, Pat O'Sullivan, Conchur Harrington, Gary Lowney and Kenneth O'Neill. Harrington men scored a goal and a point. The goal was a penalty. These scores put them into a 1-4 to 0-3 lead by the 20th minute. After both sides exchanged points, Michael Dillon scored two points from frees. Carrigaline trailed at halftime on a scoreline of 0-6 to 1-5.

The second half continued to be an end-to-end affair, with both sides scoring some spectacular points. Beara struck first, with points from Ian O'Sullivan and _Kennedi O'Neill. Meanwhile, Carrigaline responded with two points from David O'Brien.

Both sides exchanged additional points, with Beara holding a 1-10 to 0-9 advantage as the game entered the final ten minutes. However, Carrigaline, with Paul Foster, Gavin Fitzgerald, Eoin Barry, Michael Dillon and David O'Brien making major contributions, set about retrieving a game which was slipping away from them.

Three points from Michael Dillon, who scored a personal total of ten points, and one from Eoin Barry, put the sides level. With time ticking away, it seemed that a draw was on die cards. In one sweeping movement, Beara worked the ball up-the field and Kevin O'Sullivan was on hand to send the ball over the bar. This allowed Beara to win on a final scoreline of 1-11 to 0-13. Beara will now meet the winners of Inniscarra and Erin's Own in die semi-final.

Scorers: Beara: C Harrington 1-3, G Lowney, K O'Sullivan and I O'Sullivan, 0-2 each, K O'Neill and P Goggin, 0-1 each. Carrigaline: M Dillon 0-10, David O'Brien 0-2, E Barry 0-1. CARR1GAUNE: T Harris, K Browning, P Foster, N Wall, S Collins, G Fitzgerald, D Buckley, J Keohane, E Barry, M Dillon, S Carmody, E Hainan, D O'Brien, P Holland, S Dempsey. "* BEARA: S Daly, M Crowley, PJ Connelly, M O'Sullivan, E O'Neill, D Carry, P B O'Sullivan, P Goggin, G Lowney, C Harrington, K O'Neill, I O'Sullivan, D Nolan, K O'Sullivan, K O'Sulliven. Sub: C O'Sullivan for D Nolan. Referee: Tadhg Foley.

Site Admin
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: Beara minor 2000

Post by admin » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 am

Late points earn draw for Erin
Long wait for Carbery Rangers goes on


Beara ......................2-4 Erins Own..............1-7

Christmas football crackers at Castletown kenneigh. The long wait for South West Cork minor football champions Carbery Rangers remains unended. Following a pulsating Cork County Premier football championship semi-final tussle on Wednesday last a late brace of points from Mark O’Connor and Fergus Murphy gave Erins Own a deserved draw in their clash with Beara and so the Ross lads are still in the dark as to who their final opponents will be.

The sun shone brightly at the beginning of this affair, but just before half time a heavy snow shower gave us a touch of the real Christmas, and both teams seemed to get in on the act as they shot some bad wides.

But on the credit side, they gave us some exciting moments of football to savour. Beara, football redundant with quite a while made by far the brighter beginning. But the lack of practice seemed to catch up with them as things progressed and the fitter Erin’s Own lads came more into the match. All things considered a draw was a fair result.

There was, as usual, a generous sprinkling of the O’ Sullivan clan in the Beara line out. Michael kept a good goal with Padraig in a defensive capacity. Eamonn Ger was his usual bustling self in the attack really shining in the first quarter.

Kevin from the Glengarriff club smashed in a tremendous goal and Ian from Urhan was a real playmaker on the ‘mark’. But Beara had other stars too. Ken O’ Neill was magnificent in his role as a sweeper behind the midfield zone with Michael Crowley solid also. Darragh Carey and Gary Lowney formed a formidable mid field duo against what was an experienced Erins Own pairing of Kieran Murphy and Patrick Fitzgerald while Concubhair Harrington was always a threat around goal.

It took Erins Own a while to find their feet but the switch of the wily mark O’ Connor and Shane Murphy paid rich dividends. O’ Connor was a real giant in the closing stages while Murphy caught some magnificent ball. Tomas O’ Leary, son of the legendary Seanie, took a lot of watching up front where Fergus Murphy emerged as the late hero, while Brendan O’ Flynn took his goal with real panache. Cian O’ Connor was very sound at full back with Joe Lyons and Paul Fenton also to the fore. Beara started of in a blaze of glory.

Ray O’Connor was extended fully as he tipped over a vicious drive from Kevin O’ Sullivan in the very first minute. Further joy followed as in the fifth minute Darragh Carey, Padraig O’ Sullivan, Eamonn Ger and Concubhair Harrington all combined for the latter to shoot home a bullet of a goal. Mark O’ Connor drew first blood for Erins Own after twelve minutes, but it was only a temporary respite. Back thundered Beara as this time Eamonn Ger set up Kevin O’ Sullivan (GG) who cleverly flicked the leather over the advancing Ray O’ Connor and into an empty net. When Ian O’ Sullivan added a point a rout looked possible.

But, strangely, the Beara fire died down as they failed to score for the next twenty-two minutes with Erins Own really coming into the picture. Shane Murphy mishit a free that was eventually clear to safety.

But then, in the twenty-second minute, the bubble burst. A Beara defender bravely blocked down a pile driver from Brendan O’ Flynn but the breaking ball was neatly guided past Michael O’ Sullivan by O’ Flynn. Two neat frees by Shane Murphy quickly narrowed the margin to read (2-2) to (1-3) at the interval. The half-time snowfall made conditions even worse on resuming .Two points by Mark O’Connor and Shea Bowen levelled matters by the 38th minute 2-2 to 1-5.


Prior to this, a scare for Erins Own as a searing drive by Ken O Neill was stopped by their custodian but was too hot to handle and was just cleared to safety. Concubhair Harrington from a free after forty minutes edged Beara ahead and a neat from Eamonn Ger left them two points to the good.

But the last minutes belonged to Erins Own and fittingly that late brace of scores gave them another bite of the cherry. The replay will have taken place when we go to press and should be well worth a visit .Michael Collins of Clonakilty was an impartial match official

Referee: Michael Collins (Clonakilty)

Man of the Match: Ken O’ Neill(Beara)

Scorers: Beara, Concubhair Harrington 1-1, (0-1 free); Kevin O’ Sullivan (Glengarriff) 1-1; Eamonn Ger O’ Sullivan 0-1; Ian o’ Sullivan 0-1

Erins Own: Mark O’ Connor 0-3; Brendan O’ Flynn 1-0; Shane Murphy 0-2 frees; Shea Bowen 0-1; Fergus Murphy 0-1

Beara: Michael O’Sullivan (Adrigole), Padraig O’Sullivan (Do.), Paul Goggin (do.), Irvan O’Neill (Castletownbere), Michael Crowley (Urhan), P.J. Gonnely (Castletownbere), Ken O’Neill, (Adrigole), Darragh Carey (do.), Gary Lowney (Urhan), Brendan O’Regan (Castletownbere), Eamonn Ger O’ Sullivan (Adrigole), Kevin O’Sullivan, (Glengarriff), Concubhair Harrington(Urhan), Ian O’Sullivan (Urhan), Kevin O’Sullivan (Castletownbere). Subs: Martin O’ Sullivan (Garnish) for Brendan O’ Regan, Castletownbere; Darren Nolan (Castletownbere) for Kevin O’ Sullivan (Castletownbere)

Erins Own: Ray O’ Connor, Joe Lyons, Cian O’Connor, Alan Lane, Eoin O’ Neill, Mark O’Connor, Paul Fenton, Kieran Murphy, Patrick Fitzgerald, Kevin Dorgan, Shane Murphy, Fergus Murphy, Brendan O’ Flynn, Tomas O’Leary, Shea Bowen .Sub: Andrew Finn for Kevin Dorgan

Site Admin
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: Beara minor 2000

Post by admin » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:53 am

Erin’s Own victory ends a long wait

— ‘West Cork Gael’

Erin’s Own ............1-12 Beara........................1-3

The long and agonising wait for the minor footballers of Carbery Rangers has finally come to an end. At a well-manicured Castletownkenneigh venue on Sunday afternoon last, Erin’s Own, given a second bite of the cherry, swept hapless but plucky Beara out to sea in this Cork County Premier minor football championship replay thanks to a torrent of brilliantly executed first half points.

Then deep into first half injury time came the coup-degrace, as superb midfielder Kieran Murphy fastened on to a poor kick-out from Beara goalie Michael O’Sullivan, turned and fired an unstoppable shot high into the rigging to open up a commanding interval lead that proved a bridge too far for brave Beara.

So, following this comprehensive and deserved victory, Erin’s Own are on course for an unique double as they advance to meet Rosscarbery this weekend at Ballygarvan in the county section final with Bishopstown awaiting the victors in the grand finale.

Certainly in the opening thirty minutes, Erin’s Own, in sharp contrast to the drawn encounter, were the team with all the talents. Quick and decisive in defence and razor sharp in attack, they swept the leather about with great aplomb turning defence into attack in a matter of seconds, as Beara struggled to come to grips with the situation. They were by no means flattered by their interval lead of 1-9 to nil.

With Tomas O’Leary an inspiring figure on the mark, Kieran and Shane Murphy running a virtual drag at midfield, and Andrew O’Flynn and Cian O’Connor magnificent in the pivot positions, Erin’s Own held the Beara attack in a vice-like grip.

After Beara registered a couple of early wides, Pat Fitzgerald opened the scoring for the victors in the third minute. Only a timely interception by Michael O’Sullivan in the Beara goal averted an Erin’s Own goal as Andrew O’Flynn linked up with namesake, Brendan O’Flynn, for the latter to power a bullet that was well held by the custodian.

Mark O’Connor was now rampant on the forty and he fired over two delightful points in as many minutes. Again, Michael O’Sullivan came to the rescue, this time to foil Tomas O’Leary. With only token Beara resistance, the best work coming from Gary Lowney ,Darragh Carey, Erevan O’Neill and P.J. Gonnelly, at this juncture the winners tally steadily mounted. Tomas O’Leary, with a brace, and Mark O’Connor had doubled the winners tally to six points to nil after nineteen minutes had elapsed.

Then again, panic stations in the Beara defence as firstly a defender blocked an Eoin Fitzgerald drive, the breaking ball was again directed towards the goal but O’Sullivan saved at the expense of a 45 that Shane Murphy converted. With Erin’s Own adding two further points to the injury time goal, Beara looked set to get a second half drubbing.

But resuming in determined fashion and with Ken O’Neill, Paul Goggin, Ian O’Sullivan and Concubhair Harrington much more involved, they threw down the gauntlet to the winners. Brendan O’Regan, after thirty seconds, gave them some hope. Then a point-blank save by Ray O’Connor prevented a Ken O’Neill pile driver from entering the net.

But the goal did arrive shortly afterwards. Concubhair Harrington hit the post, the ball was flicked back across the goalmouth by Brendan O’Regan and, in like a flash, Kevin O’Sullivan, Glengarriff, stroked the leather home. It was hectic now as Eamonn Ger O’Sullivan added a free in the forty third minute. But, regaining their composure, Erin’s Own battened down the hatches, raised their game and sailed into serene waters with points by Shane Murphy, free, and two superb scores from the boot of Mark O’Connor, as the bottom fell out of the Beara challenge. A consolation free by Harrington was of little solace as Erin’s Own ran out deserving winners.

Michael Collins, Clonakilty, was a good match official.

Man of the Match, Shane Murphy, Erin’s Own.

Scorers – Erin’s Own: Mark O’Connor 0-5, Tomas O’Leary 0-3, Shane Murphy 0-3, 0-2 from frees, 0-1 from 45, Kieran Murphy 1-0, Pat Fitzgerald 0-1. Beara: Kevin O’Sullivan, Glengarriff, 1-0 Eamonn, G O’Sullivan 0-1, free, Brendan O’Regan 0-1, Concubhair Harrington 0-1.

Erin’s Own: Ray O’Connor, Jonathan Coughlan, Andrew O’Flynn, Alan Lane, Paul Fenton, Cian O’Connor, Joe Lyons, Shane Murphy, Kieran Murphy, Eoin O’Neill, Mark O’Connor, Pat Fitzgerald, Brendan O’Flynn, Tomas O’Leary, Shea Bowen. Subs, Diarmuid O’Flynn for B O’Flynn, Ian Murphy for Shea Bowen, Kevin Dorgan for J Coughlan, Austin O’Flynn for P Fitzgerald, Bill Cogan for P Fenton.

Beara: Michael O’Sullivan, Adrigole, Michael Crowley, Bere Island, Paul Goggin, Adrigole, Erevan O’Neill, Castletownbere,Pat O’Sullivan, Adrigole, P.J. Gonnelly, Castletownbere, Ken O’Neill, Adrigole, Gary Lowney, Urhan, Darragh Carey, Adrigole, Brendan O’Regan, Castletownbere, Eamonn G. O’Sullivan, Adrigole, Ian O’Sullivan, Urhan, Concubhair Harrington, Urhan, Kevin O’Sullivan, Glengarriff, Darren Nolan, Castletownbere. Sub, Kevin O’Sullivan, Castletownbere, for E.G.O’Sullivan.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest